Tree Spear Pty Ltd
952 Pinchin Road Goolmangar NSW 2480
Phone: 02 6686 0391
OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE
- Do not operate the pump unless there is fluid in the reservoir.
- Do not fill plug level. Capacity approx. 1000ml.
- The injectors are set to deliver
approx 1cc. Dose may be altered to 2cc by slackening socket-head set screw (1/4" Allen Key) and
winding pump handle further off pump rod tighten set screw.
- MAKE SURE THAT THE PUMP HANDLE IS HELD IN WHILST STRIKING THE TREE, otherwise unnecessary strain will be placed on the pump and valve. Use RH injector with groove in blade uppermost. Strike tree, cutting through bark to sapwood. Lower the upper end of the Injector to open the cut, then move pump handle out and in to inject the dose. A smooth action will give better results than a quick "snapping" action.
- Just as you would not sharpen pencils with your best "cut throat" razor don't drop the cutting edge of blade on the ground or hard surfaces. A keen edge makes for easier work.
- Should the pump not operate, first make sure there is fluid in the reservoir. It may be that there is dirt or a gummy residue under the valve which could allow the pump to suck air, in which case it can usually be cleared by holding the pump handle OUT to allow the pump to fill, then snapping the handle IN as quickly as possible. Repeat several times which will normally flush out the valve and seat.
If pump still does not operate, the "0"
ring may be worn out, dislodged or broken. To replace "0" ring unscrew the head (right hand thread) clean out any pieces of old "0" ring, hold the pump handle IN, and slip the replacement "0" ring into the groove at pump end of rod.
STRIKING TREE WITH INJECTOR PUMP HANDLE OUT CAN FRACTURE "0" RING, OR CAUSE IT TO BE FORCED OUT OF GROOVE
The pump "0" ring will wear out, but should last through at least 25 litres of mixture. If spares are required 3/8" OD x 1/16 "0" rings fit pump, and 11/16" OD x 3/32 "0" rings are used for sealing rings. Pump "0" rings are
suitable under valve seat. All are available from Tree Spear.
- If the valve assembly needs stripping for some reason, follow these steps:
(b)Make a small hook on the end of a piece
of tie wire (16 S.W.G. for preference).
(c)With a 5/16" blade screwdriver, unscrew brass valve seat a full 1/4" then pass hooked wire through 1/8" hole in seat to withdraw valve seat. There is an "0" ring seal on the valve seat, so make sure it is withdrawn also.
(d)Tap the threaded end of the head smartly
on palm of hand, or piece of wood, and valve and spring will drop out.
When reassembling make sure that valve and spring are replaced SPRING FIRST. The stripping and re-assembling is more easily carried out if the inside of the head is first wetted.
You can check that the valve is operating correctly by holding the Injector almost horizontally and ejecting a pump full, wiping some of the fluid out of the groove, and testing to see that no fluid is drawn back into the head when the pump handle is drawn OUT again.
Injectors are carefully made and tested for operation and any faults in workmanship or materials except for normal replacement of pump "0" rings will be made good at our works without charge for labour or materials. If any claim is to be made we must have the defective part.
WHEN STORING WE ADVISE DRAINING THE INJECTOR, AND THEN FLUSHING WITH DISTILLATE OR KEROSENE TO WHICH A LITTLE OIL HAS BEEN ADDED, PUMPING THE ACTION SEVERAL TIMES.
BUYERS BEWARE SHARP END MAY CAUSE INJURY. HANDLE CAUTIOUSLY.
Designed & Maintained
"Catch Us If You Can!" If
©Steve Cselka 2006 - 2007